‘Twas a snowy night in Tucson

Baby, it’s cold outside. It’s not just your average 50-degree cold, either.

Last night, snow fell in Tucson, covering the campus in a light glaze that brought students to the streets.

“”I knew it was cold, but I was surprised when I looked down at my glove and there were snowflakes on it,”” said Yael Farah, an animal science sophomore originally from Chicago. “”My roommates and I went outside and watched it snow for a half an hour, because it was just so exciting.””

For students originally from even warmer states, last night’s snowfall was their first experience in the powdery white.

“”I’m from Los Angeles and have never had the chance to see snow,”” said Tina Hakimian, a psychology sophomore. “”Now I can finally say that I lived somewhere where it snowed- ironically, it’s Tucson.””

For other students from states where the weather is often, snow is an all too familiar element.

“”I came to Arizona for the weather,”” joked Milaha Reed, an out-of-state pre-business sophomore. “”I could have stayed in Colorado for this.””

Still, Reed adds, it is crazy to see the weather change from overcast to snow in a matter of hours.

After a day of cloudy and partly rainy weather, snow started to fall at around 4:30 p.m.

Steven Ferris, an undecided freshman from Michigan, said that while he is used to weeks of temperatures ranging from 0? F to negative 5? F, watching the snowfall on a late Tucson afternoon was still pretty cool, pun intended.

“”It’s pretty unexpected,”” Ferris said of the snow. “”I don’t think it will last, but it’s still fun to see little snowflakes once in a while. I really miss that from back home.””

For some students employed by the Student Union, watching the snow provided a great way to pass the time on a Sunday, when the pace of customers typically slows.

“”I’m staying inside and actually enjoying working for once,”” said Andrew Simms, history junior and U-Mart employee.

“”I’ve lived in Tucson my whole life and this is only the second time that I have seen it snowing in Central Tucson, and it wasn’t half as much as this,”” Simms said.

As the snow continued to fall into the evening, each student had their own ways of staying warm, from bundling up to drinking hot chocolate. Since the snowfall was so unexpected, some students have come to some zany conclusions as to the how’s and why’s of the snow.

“”Since it started snowing 10 minutes before the announcement,”” Ferah said, “”It must have snowed because the Bears are going to the Super Bowl.””

Whatever the reason, one thing is certain: last night took the N-O out of Tucson S-N-O-W.