Tucson and campus

The Loft Cinema will show the Canadian film Videodrome tomorrow night at 10. If this picture does not do the job of convincing you to go, I do not know what will.
    The Loft Cinema will show the Canadian film “”Videodrome”” tomorrow night at 10. If this picture does not do the job of convincing you to go, I do not know what will.

Today

“”Does rising inequality harm the middle class?””
    This economics lecture will undoubtedly address the distribution of wealth throughout the country. I don’t know about you, but all my wealth has been distributed to La Salsa already. ($8 for a chicken burrito?! I digress.) 5 p.m. Free, but make sure to register if you still can. McClelland Hall, Berger Auditorium

Purple Plush: A Tribute to Prince
    All of these bands get together to pay a tribute to that one guy who keeps changing his name. (And not Puff Daddy.) Featuring Mankind, the George Squier Orchestra, Bombs for the Bored, Cathy Rivers with Love Mound, Found Dead on the Phone and Nowhere Man. 8:30 p.m. $5. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. (21+)

Fiesta de los Vaqueros Parade
    This claims to be the largest nonmotorized parade in the world. It features Western-themed floats and buggies, Mexican folk dancers, marching bands, horses and a bunch of people who are just really freaking tired of walking. 9 a.m. $6. Grandstand seating on East Irvington Road at South Sixth Avenue

Tomorrow

Papa Susso
    This guy does everything. He’s a Kora virtuoso, traditional musician, oral historian, person with a strange and possibly made-up name and entertainer. 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Free. 17th Street Market, 810 E. 17th St.

“”Videodrome””
    This movie is about a guy who runs an “”unauthorized”” cable channel in Toronto that plays violence and porn. One night, apparently trying to “”find more material,”” he stumbles across some satellite transmission put out by aliens or something. Unfortunately, he doesn’t just ignore it and watch more porn. He tries to find out what it is. Oh well, I guess the movie has to be interesting somehow. 10 p.m. $5. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.

The Year
    I hear this is gonna be the best band of the year! With Blind Divine and Tranceiver. 9 p.m. $4. Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St. (21+)

Saturday

Mutual UFO Network
    Speaking of aliens. Apparently, a “”journalist”” for UFO magazine will be here talking about his extensive research and interviews with people from the planets Zorag, Zamblasterthon and X-5F28. Ha, gotcha! I just made that last part up! 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Free. Wilmot Library, 530 N. Wilmot Road

Poetry Slam
    I don’t know about you, but the only reason I go to Espresso Art is to slam down some quick caffeine before I go do something important. I’m not sure if slamming poetry would have the same effects. 6 p.m. Espresso Art, 944 E. University Blvd.

Sunday

The Academy Is
    I usually get this band confused with that drum corps everybody’s always talking about. But alas, The Academy Is is a mainstream pop punk group instead. 7 p.m. $16.25 in advance, $18.25 day of show. Rialto Theatre, 318 E. Congress St.

2006 Dust Devil Roller Derby Tournament
    Is it actually true? There really are skaters over the age of 12? This is a sight to see in and of itself. Plus, the 20 flat-track leagues from all over the country compete on their final day, I guess. 12 p.m. $15. Bladeworld, 1065 W. Grant Road

Monday

Crossing Barriers: Reconstructions
    This faculty artist concert features percussionist Norman Weinberg, Patrick Neher on double bass and pianist Suzanne Knosp. Isn’t it just so cool to see your name in print?! 7:30 p.m. Free. Crowder Hall

“”Interviews with Participants in the Algerian War for Independence””
    This film is about the National Liberation Front and how it overthrew the French colonialism in Algeria. And apparently, “”the political implications of this movement today are immense.”” I’m glad we got that taken care of. 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Free. Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering building, Room S202

Tuesday

Annual Mardi Gras celebration
    There are only two cool things about Mardi Gras: food and bare boobs. But since this festival is being held next to a church, I’m not too sure if we’ll get to see both. We will see jambalaya, dirty rice and beans, cornbread, king cake, pancakes and more, though. 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. $5. New Spirit Lutheran Church. 8701 E. Old Spanish Trail

Wednesday

Asylum Street Spankers
    This would probably be a good band to see on your birthday, if you didn’t mind coming out with a red ass. 9 p.m. $10. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St.

Low
    This would not be a good band to see on your birthday, because it’s not exactly uplifting. Just look at its name. 9 p.m. Tickets $10 advance, $12 day of show. Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St. (21+)

Sprout a Salad
    If the freshman 15 has turned into a freshman 27 with a meal card, you can learn to eat healthy for cheap by growing your own salad at the Botanical Gardens. It does take six weeks though, so you might want to start an exercise routine while you’re waiting. 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. $5. Tucson Botanical Gardens. 2150 N. Alvernon Way

-By Andi Berlin