Hoops notebook

Jaleel White, who is most famous for his role as Steve Urkel in the 1990s sitcom Family Matters, takes in an 83-60 UCLA win over Arizona in Pauley Pavilion on Thursday night. White said he used to be really good friends with Lute and Bobbi Olson.
    Jaleel White, who is most famous for his role as Steve Urkel in the 1990s sitcom “”Family Matters,”” takes in an 83-60 UCLA win over Arizona in Pauley Pavilion on Thursday night. White said he used to be really good friends with Lute and Bobbi Olson.

LOS ANGELES – For a team that that’s made it to the NCAA Final Four the last three years, it’s easy to see how a team would take a loss to UCLA personal.

You might have a better case, though, if you’re Arizona. The Wildcats have now lost eight straight games to the Bruins.

Arizona’s last win against UCLA came on Feb. 12, 2005, 83-73. The road win capped a four-game win streak in the series for the Wildcats.

“”It was a difficult loss,”” said UA forward Chase Budinger, who still hasn’t beaten UCLA in his college career. “”I thought we battled them. We competed hard; I thought we played hard on the defensive end, but sometimes just playing hard is not going to get you a win.””

Though the Bruins were able to escape with a 2-point win in McKale Center last year, they beat the Wildcats 82-60 in Pauley Pavilion exactly one month prior. Last year’s score in Pauley, 83-60, was eerily similar to this year’s, but Budinger said the games were polar opposites.

“”They played a lot better than they did last year, but I thought we battled a lot harder throughout the whole game,”” Budinger said. “”We tried as hard as we can, but like I said, sometimes trying hard is not gonna get you close and win ball games.””

Did I do thaaaaat?

Jaleel White, better known for his geeky role as Steve Urkel in the sitcom “”Family Matters”” took in the game from his courtside seat. Urkel graduated from UCLA in 2001 with a degree in film and television.

White, 32, didn’t have on suspenders or red-framed glasses, but wore jeans, and a gray sweater with a white collar. He said he’s had his seats for about four or five years and tries to make it out to as many games as possible.

“”I try to get out and do as much as I can, man,”” said White, who added that he was really good friends with Lute and Bobbi Olson. “”It’s not not like (UCLA) sent me that degree (laughs). I had to work for it, so I feel comfortable coming back.””

But he’s not just a Bruins fan. He’s a basketball fan altogether. He has played in charity basketball games and he once wrote a blog for NBA.com.

“”I’ve been fortunate enough to do lots of great things,”” White said. “”I’m a writer now, too, so I’ve got a lot to keep me busy.””

Tracy Murray, a former UCLA hoops star, was also in attendance. He averaged 18.3 points and 1.5 assists per game for the Bruins in 98 games. After his junior season he declared for the 1992 NBA Draft and went on to play for six teams and two Greek teams.

Maurice Jones-Drew and Ryan Nece, two former Bruins now in the NFL, were former UCLA athletes in attendance as well.

Wildcats become red meat

The Wildcats came to Pauley Pavilion standing out visually, wearing their red jerseys for the first time this season. Nic Wise wore matching red tights on his legs and a matching red headband was available to guard Garland Judkins during warmups, though Judkins wore a white headband after tipoff.

It marked the third time in four seasons the Wildcats played UCLA wearing red jerseys. They wore navy in Pauley in 2007.

Arizona couldn’t, however, stand out as well as team manager Jamal Boddie. He wore a loud green sweater.

Kalil’s comeback

Lute Olson wasn’t the only familiar face the Wildcats were missing this season.

George Kalil, president of Kalil Bottling Co., missed just three UA men’s basketball games – home or away – in 36 years. This year he missed the first four because of an injury, said UA spokesman Rich Paige.

Kalil was in attendance for the the game and sat a few rows about Arizona’s bench.