The Student News Site of University of Arizona

The Daily Wildcat

81° Tucson, AZ

The Daily Wildcat

The Daily Wildcat


    Police Beat

    A black cell phone was stolen from a booth at Wendy’s, 1005 N. Campbell Ave., Feb. 29.

    The phone’s owner said he had the phone only about two days before he went to Wendy’s. He left the fast food restaurant and went to University Medical Center, 1501 N. Campbell Ave., where, upon arrival, he noticed his phone was missing.

    Upon returning to the restaurant, he asked the staff about the phone, and searched through the garbage cans and dining room, but did not find it.

    Someone vandalized the Robson Tennis Center, 902 N. Martin Ave., between the hours of 5:30 p.m. Feb. 28 and 8 a.m. Feb. 29.

    An officer met with the man who had reported the damage. The man said that somebody broke the lid off a trash can, smashed a court dryer, burned two holes in the court’s surrounding canvas and broke five spikes off a fence.

    The man estimated the cost of the damage at about $500.

    Police have no suspects or witnesses.

    A man was arrested for driving under the influence impaired to the slightest degree near the intersection of North Mountain Avenue and East Hampton Street at 10:15 p.m. Feb. 28.

    At 9:37 p.m., a University of Arizona Police Department officer assisted the Tucson Police Department on a call regarding two people trying to detain a drunk driver in the area of North Fremont Avenue and East Seneca Street.

    The driver had become combative and was fighting with the two people. He was reported walking southbound on North Mountain Avenue.

    When the officer arrived to the area of East Hampton Street and North Mountain Avenue, he was flagged down by a man said him his friend was in an alley attempting to detain the driver.

    The officer entered the alleyway and saw two people struggling. The smaller of the two men had his arms wrapped around the midsection of the taller person.

    When the officer yelled for the men to stop fighting, the smaller man immediately backed away. The other man, highly agitated and angry, was swearing and said, “”Those fuckers attacked me. I want to arrest them!”” according to reports.

    The officer handcuffed the taller man and helped him sit on the ground.

    The man’s eyes were watery and bloodshot and his breath smelled of intoxicants. He was unsteady on his feet and his speech was slurred.

    The two men said they saw the taller man behind the wheel of a truck involved in a private-property accident.

    The man refused to perform any field sobriety tests. He was arrested for DUI impairment to the slightest degree and transported to the UAPD station, 1852 E. First St., where he submitted to two breathalyzer tests.

    He was additionally charged with a DUI with blood-alcohol content of .08 and released to his friend.

    Three students were placed into a diversion program following a drug violation at North Park Avenue and East University Boulevard at 11:09 p.m. Feb 27.

    An officer responded to the area on a report of individuals smoking marijuana nearby. The officer parked his patrol car on East James E. Rogers Way and walked up to students sitting on a bench.

    When they saw the officer, one dropped something on the ground and all three got up and began moving away from the officer down the sidewalk.

    The officer followed and called out to the students. They identified themselves and denied having smoked marijuana when the officer asked them.

    The officer spoke with them separately, and they all had symptoms of smoking marijuana. Eventually, they admitted to smoking marijuana that evening.

    The officer located the remains of a marijuana cigarette under the bench.

    A notice was sent to the Dean of Students Office.

    More to Discover
    Activate Search