Green Fund tables allocation requests

Kyle Wasson / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Members of the UA Green Fund Committee discussed project alteration requests, voted on mini-grant proposals and addressed concerns regarding the allocation of money at their second open meeting of the year.

Lauren Erdelyi, chair of the Green Fund and a senior studying psychology and conservation biology opened the floor for new business regarding mini-grant proposals and asked for any questions, concerns or comments from fellow members.

A motion to extend the request of the UA’s School Garden Workshop Showcase grant proposal passed unanimously, and a motion to table the discussion on a mini-grant regarding the UA Community and School Garden Outreach T-shirts also passed with a slight majority.

Member Logan Bilby then moved to open discussion on a project alteration request that includes “promoting student leadership and sustainability education on campus and in the community.”
Members unanimously voted to approve the extension request for the proposal and then moved on to discuss another request known as Improving the Sustainability of the Chemical Engineering Unit Operations Laboratory with Cooling Water Recirculation.

The Chemical and Environmental Engineering department proposed the project and funds were approved in the previous year. However, some members questioned the request that some of the money from the funds be given to a faculty member. Green Fund Treasurer Blake Tye asked if the faculty member had done additional work to warrant extra funding. Members discussed the request and commented on the ambiguity regarding what was needed.

“This kind of request, for me, is a little bit hard to understand what we’re actually getting for it,” said Jesse Minor, Green Fund vice chair.

Members voted unanimously to table the discussion on the second request until more information was received regarding the allocation of money. Following the vote, the meeting was adjourned.

The next open meeting is scheduled for Jan. 29 in the Madera Room in the Student Union Memorial Center.