T-Wade set to anchor DB’s

Cornerback Trevin Wade was dominant at the start of the 2009 season then suddenly disappeared in the middle of Pacific 10 Conference play. But not because of poor play or a sudden drop in production, he disappeared because opposing teams flat out stopped throwing the ball to his side.

“”It gets frustrating,”” Wade said about teams avoiding him. “”I just keep telling myself that if we get a stop on the other side that they’re going to come to my side eventually. I just need to keep playing and keep telling myself that a play is going to happen.””

Wade will likely see more of the same to start the 2010 season thanks to Arizona’s inexperienced secondary. They’ll start throwing near him eventually, and when they do the preseason All-American has some goals in mind.

“”To just throw a number out there, probably like eight to 10 interceptions,”” Wade said on his goals for the season. “”Most importantly I just need to make the ones thrown to me count. I just need to stay focused, they might not throw it over there but when they do that’s going to be my chance so I need to make them pay.””

Ten interceptions might be a stretch, but anything near that number would help solidify Wade’s placement on The Jim Thorpe Award watchlist as the nation’s top defensive back. But according to co-defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach Greg Brown, individual awards don’t matter.

“”I think if you ask Trevin, he’d give up interceptions and individual awards for outstanding all-around defense and a team that can contend for the Pac-10 title,”” Brown said. “”He’s all about team.””

Brown, who signed on with the Wildcats shortly following the end of the 2009 season, is happy to have a seasoned veteran like Wade anchoring his secondary.

“”It’s a good thing when you have guys that have established themselves and have done well against Pac-10 competition, that’s a huge thing,”” Brown said. “”He’s there to steady our young defense and that’s exactly what we need.””

When asked for a scouting report on Wade, Brown couldn’t wait to gush over his resident ballhawk.

“”Interceptor. Plays the ball. Has a nose for it, anticipates, and can make plays.””