Top 5 picks

Finally, Hollywood is starting to release some decent and exciting films ranging from suspenseful dramas to hyped-up blockbusters. The new comic book movie is sure to top the box office figures, but you might want to look to a classic French film for your weekend entertainment.

Ghost Rider

Kids and kids at heart will jump for joy this weekend as another comic book blockbuster hits the screen. Nicolas Cage plays the crazy motorcyclist Johnny Blaze who makes a Faustian deal with the evil Mephistopheles to give up his soul.

Army of Shadows

The New York Times and other major publications called this 1969 French film the best movie of last year. Almost 40 years after its original release, this World War II film floored American critics. The movie is playing exclusively at The Loft Cinema.

Breach

Ryan Phillipe, whom you might remember as one of the hunky dudes from “”Cruel Intentions,””stars in this real-life story of Soviet espionage. Phillipe plays FBI agent Eric O’Neill, who was promoted into a position few could handle.

Bridge to Terabithia

It seems as if filmmakers are trying to capitalize on the success of fantasy novel-to-film adaptations. Still, “”Bridge to Terabithia”” has a lot to offer and may hold a special place in your heart if you were a fan of the book years ago.

Daddy’s Little Girls

This is a romantic comedy dealing with the usual breakup and custody battle subject matter. If your parents are coming to visit this weekend, this is the family-friendly film to see. Also of note is this movie’s strong R&B soundtrack.

-complied by Patrick Valenzuela