Arizona soccer travels to face Cal in a conference matchup

Nathanial Stenchever

The Arizona soccer team lines up on the field as the starting line up gets announced on Sept. 4 at Mulcahy Soccer Stadium. The wildcats would end the game in a 2-2 tie after 90 minutes of play.

The Arizona soccer team will be traveling on the road to take on the University of California Berkeley on Thursday, Sept. 28, at 3 p.m. at Edwards Stadium.

This will be the Wildcats’ second in-conference game of the season. They won their opening in-conference game at home last Friday, Sept. 22, against the University of Oregon 3-0, which was the Wildcats’ first win in a conference opener since 2017 when Arizona defeated Oregon 3-1.

Heading into this matchup against the Golden Bears both teams share a similar record, with Cal sitting at 4-3-2 and Arizona at 4-2-3. 

This makes for an even more intriguing matchup, as both teams understand it’s time to start piecing things together after slow starts.

Cal won its first game in-conference game of the season on the road last Friday against the University of Washington 1-0.

Cal forward Karlie Lema has scored three out of Cal’s 12 goals this season. Lema was also named Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week on Monday, Sept. 4. 

The Golden Bears struggled in their non-conference games. They were defeated by two of the top teams in the country in the No. 15 University of Tennessee (1-4) and the No. 2 University of North Carolina (1-3). 

This meeting between both teams will be their 29th all-time, and Arizona holds a 6-18-4 record in the series. The last time the Wildcats played the Golden Bears was on Oct. 2, 2022, when Arizona lost 1-0 due to a goal in the second half. 

Sami Baytosh and Nicole Dallin are leading Arizona’s offense this season. Dallin is currently in second place in the Pac-12 in goals scored with 7 and third in points. This dynamic duo will pose the greatest challenge to Cal’s backline. 

For those unable to attend this match in person, the game will be streamed live on the Pac-12 Network.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X