Dusk Music Festival returns downtown for the seventh year

Chloe Hislop
Dusk Music Festival 2019 attendees pose for a picture with some of the festival decorations. Dusk is an annual music festival at Armory Park in Tucson.

Dusk Music Festival will return to Jácome Plaza for its seventh annual event on Nov. 10 and 11 with artists Louis the Child, Seven Lions 311 and 35 other performers.

This year’s artists cover a wide range of music genres including alternative, electronic, indie, rock and hip-hop. Last year’s headliners included Alison Wonderland, GRiZ, and Young the Giant.

Dusk has become the biggest music festival in Tucson, with a steady increase in ticket sales of about 15% this year.

“It’s just amazing that we’ve gotten this far and we’re super proud of what we’ve accomplished,” co-founder and Dusk director, Page Repp, said. “Our biggest thrill is what it’s provided for the city of Tucson.”

Artists who have performed around the world will congregate downtown, and for many of them this will be their first time in Tucson. Kelsy Karter, a New Zealand singer-songwriter in the band Kelsy Karter & The Heroines, looks forward to showcasing her talents for the first time in Tucson while offering attendees a first listen to the bands new music.

“We’re definitely going to play some new music because we have a headline tour coming up,” Karter said. “We need to workshop the new songs, so you guys might be the first to see some of the new songs from the next album.”

Kelsy Karter & The Heroines will be performing on Saturday, Nov. 11.

The music festival also showcases local food vendors and merchants, providing the opportunity for attendees to get a taste of what local businesses have to offer. Some of this year’s vendors include Iron Chef Tucson-winner Dante’s Fire, and runner-up Zio Peppe, as well as hair and makeup stylists, clothing vendors, and everything in between, Repp said.

The community-based festival shines a spotlight on smaller local musicians by showcasing their talent on Dusk’s Discovery Stage. Dusk holds competitions, including Tucson Battle of the Bands, a Phoenix DJ contest, and a Tucson DJ contest, for local artists to perform and earn a spot to play in November.

“It’s just so cool to be able to provide that opportunity to people because somebody took a chance on us at one point. We take a chance on them, and if we can help them further their dreams, that’s priceless,” Repp said.

One of the bands local to Arizona that’s performing, Moontour, looks forward to showcasing their talent to attendees while broadening their audience. “It’s our first time playing down in Tucson, so we’re really looking forward to doing that,” said band member Blake Comstock.

Comstock said that he is looking forward to meeting other bands from around the area and playing a great show with his band. Moontour will be playing on Saturday, Nov. 11.

For more information, ticket prices and package deals can be found on the Dusk website. The festival is offering single and 2-day tickets, VIP Experience tickets and Platinum Experience tickets. For those looking to familiarize themselves with the different artists performing this year, Dusk has also created DUSK Artist Playlists on Spotify.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter (X)