Receivers to watch

Juron Criner’s undisclosed illness kept him from traveling to Stillwater, Okla., and the Wildcats need someone to step up as Arizona’s No. 1.

It’s impossible to replace Criner’s production with one player, but the Wildcats have one of the deeper receiving corps in the Pac-12. Here are three candidates to step up in Criner’s place:

Dan Buckner

Buckner was supposed to come in and be option No. 1 behind Criner, but an underwhelming training camp full of inconsistencies left him out of the starting lineup against NAU.

But Buckner did manage to haul in four balls for 38 yards, and if motivated, he has the tools to become the No. 1 in Criner’s absence. The 6-foot-4, 220-pound Texas transfer finally could have the opportunity he’s been waiting for, but it remains to be seen if he can cash in.

Austin Hill

The redshirt freshman receiver has the talent to eventually become Criner’s heir, and judging by his 24-yard touchdown grab against NAU he could be ready to contribute against the Cowboys. Coaches and players raved about Hill throughout the offseason and his size (6-foot-3, 205 pounds) could make him one of Nick Foles’ favorite targets with Criner on the sidelines.

David Douglas

Douglas moved back to the slot this season, but he found success last season as an outside receiver and could be asked to move back if Criner can’t go. He has a great rapport with Foles despite catching no balls against NAU. Expect Douglas’ role to increase and Foles to target him much more than last week.

Honorable mention: Gino Crump and David Roberts

— Mike Schmitz