Things to do in Tucson if you’re under 21

Sean Gundu

191 Toole is a non-profit concert venue located in downtown Tucson and is dubbed the Rialto’s sister-location.

Tucson is a town that has a rich culture when it comes to things to do. While it has a vibrant nightlife and bar presence, Tucson is filled with a plethora of adventures for those who are under the age of 21. From shopping to concerts, there is always something to do in the “Dirty T.” 

Shopping

A few blocks from the University of Arizona is the colorful Historic Fourth Avenue that is filled with plenty of shopping opportunities for those looking to change their wardrobe or find little knick-knacks. Shops include Pop Cycle, a recycle-themed shop that offers trinkets and fashion to its customers, the Rustic Candle Company, a candle boutique that sells locally-made candles and incense, and Hippie Gypsy, a psychedelic-themed shop that will transport you to the 1960s. 

There are also several thrift shops located near campus including Goodwill on Fourth Avenue, which offers a student discount, Tucson Thrift Shop on Fourth, Buffalo Exchange on Speedway Boulevard and Gypsy Emporium located downtown on Court Avenue. 

RELATED: Live entertainment around campus

Coffee and Restaurants

After shopping, you can enjoy a cup of coffee at one of the many cafés on and around campus. From Caffe Luce on Park and University and Epic Café on Fourth to Chocolate Iguana or Café Pasé, each coffee shop brings something unique to the community. 

If coffee’s not your thing, go for a quick bite at an eatery near campus, like Italian restaurant Caruso’s, Bison Witches, B-Line Café, Lindy’s on Fourth, Magpies Pizza  or Tall Boys.

Music and Events

If you enjoy live music, comedy or bigger events, there are several venues near campus to keep a close eye on. From the historic Hotel Congress to the Rialto Theater to 191 Toole, each venue brings a unique vibe to what scene you are trying to dive into. 

You can also attend a movie at the Loft Cinema, located on Speedway Boulevard, an art house theater that shows classic movies along with new releases and other special events, including a local short film contest every first Friday of the month called First Friday Shorts. 

Other things to look for are Free First Thursday at the Tucson Museum of Art. Every first Thursday of the month, the museum offers free public access to the exhibits. Every second Saturday of the month, Downtown Tucson holds 2nd Saturdays that host live music and vendors for the public. 

RELATED: From pizza fanatic to pizzeria owner

Other things to look for:

Tucson is known for its art scene and there are several pop-up art shows around town, sometimes accompanied by local music. There are also bigger events that happen throughout the year that students can attend when not going to class. 

The big thing to remember is that if you are looking to get away from campus and try something new, you have to listen to your peers, look at flyers in coffee shops or just adventure around town to find something to do. 

For more information on any of the above events, go to visittucson.com for a complete list of things to do for those who cannot attend a bar or share a drink. 

Follow Pascal on Twitter