Arizona soccer to host No. 2 UCLA

Jackie Cabrera

Megan Chelf (6) holds a soccer ball on the sidelines during the game against the University of Southern California on Murphey Field at Mulcahy Soccer Stadium on the afternoon of Oct. 3. The final score was a 4-1 loss for the Wildcats.

The Arizona soccer team is set to host No. 2 UCLA at home on Thursday, Oct. 19, at 7 p.m. The match will take place at Murphey Field at Mulcahy Soccer Stadium.

The Bruins have emerged victorious in their last three encounters with the Wildcats, with Arizona’s most recent win occurring in 2019 at home when the Wildcats secured a 3-0 victory.

UCLA’s season so far

UCLA commenced its season with three consecutive victories, allowing just 1 goal during that impressive run. However, the Bruins faced their only setback of the season on the road against current-No. 7 BYU, succumbing 3-1. Following this disappointment, they swiftly returned to their winning ways, stringing together nine consecutive victories while conceding only three goals in the process.

UCLA’s offensive duo of Reilyn Turner and Ally Cook have been standout performers this season, each tallying more than 6 goals. The team as a whole has notched an impressive 40 goals in the 2023 season. Turner’s and Cook’s exceptional ball control and speed make them a challenge for any defender. On the defensive end, Quincy McMahon anchors the Bruins’ back line with authority.

Wildcats to watch

Arizona’s leading goal-scorer is currently Nicole Dallin, whose agility and field vision distinguish her among the forwards. Dallin has notched 8 goals for the season so far. Cameron Valladares has proven her worth as a valuable forward, boasting 4 goals to her name. Megan Chelf, the team’s vocal senior, is the heart of the squad. Her relentless pursuit of the ball can shift the momentum of a game.

This upcoming match against UCLA is poised to be one of the toughest challenges for the Wildcats this season. To stand a chance against one of the nation’s top teams, Arizona will need to start strong and rely on its star players to shine.

For those unable to attend in person, the match will be streamed live on the Pac-12 network.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X