Arizona lands homegrown talent: Four-star in-state QB Demond Williams commits to Wildcats for 2024

Nathanial Stenchever

Arizona football coach Jedd Fisch raises his fist in the air in the last seconds of a football game against North Dakota State University on Saturday Sept. 17 in Arizona Stadium. The Wildcats won the game 31-28 advancing their record to 2 and 1. 

In a resounding victory for the Arizona football team, highly-touted four-star in-state quarterback Demond Williams Jr. has committed to join the team for the 2024 season. Hailing from Basha High School in Chandler, Arizona, Williams brings a potent blend of athleticism, leadership and playmaking ability that has made him a standout talent in the state. With his commitment, head coach Jedd Fisch’s vision of securing top local prospects and building a formidable team from within Arizona’s borders is coming to fruition.

Standing at 5-foot-11 and weighing 180 pounds, Williams may not possess prototypical quarterback size, but his skill set more than compensates. As a dual-threat quarterback, he possesses the rare ability to dismantle opposing defenses both through the air and on the ground. Williams is an accurate downfield passer, especially excelling in connecting on deep throws, making him a genuine threat in the passing game. Additionally, his elusiveness and quick decision-making under pressure enable him to thrive when the pocket collapses. Despite his ability to create plays with his legs, Williams remains focused on being a pass-first quarterback, a trait highly sought after at the elite Power Five level.

Throughout his high school career at Basha, Williams has demonstrated his prowess on the gridiron, earning him a coveted four-star rating by 247Sports. As the third-best prospect in Arizona and the 17th-best quarterback nationally for the 2024 recruiting cycle, Williams has consistently put up impressive numbers. With 6,785 passing yards, 59 touchdowns and just nine interceptions, he has proven his ability to deliver under pressure. Williams‘ rushing prowess is equally impressive, accounting for 1,647 yards and 22 touchdowns on the ground. A standout performance against Salpointe Catholic High School in a 46-14 victory in Tucson showcased his dual-threat abilities, further solidifying his status as an elite prospect.

The commitment of Williams adds a crucial piece to Fisch‘s long-term plan for the Wildcats. Fisch has been vocal about the importance of securing top in-state talent to build a winning program. 

“Our goal is to keep kids in Arizona at home. Our goal is to keep kids from Tucson at home,” Fisch said. At the Pac-12 Media Day, Fisch spoke with confidence about the Wildcats’ recruiting success. 

“We have had, over the last two years, two of the best recruiting classes Arizona has ever had,” Fisch said. 

Indeed, the Wildcats’ 2022 recruiting class finished 22nd overall in 247Sports’ rankings, followed by a commendable 40th-place finish in 2023. With the addition of Williams, 247Sports ranked Arizona‘s recruiting class at No. 34 in the nation and third in the Pac-12 behind the University of Oregon and Stanford University.

“My expectation is that we finish even higher this year,” Fisch said.

This time, Arizona didn’t have to look far for its top prospects — a manifestation of Fisch’s promise. The commitment of Williams is a testament to the Wildcats’ ability to attract and retain top talents from their home state.

Williams’ journey to Arizona involved a change of heart, as he initially committed to the University of Mississippi in December but later reconsidered his options. His decision to stay in state and join the Wildcats highlights the allure of playing for his home state and impending move to the Big 12 for his freshman season. Comparisons to Bryce Young, a standout former starting quarterback at the University of Alabama, only add to the anticipation surrounding Williams’ arrival in Tucson.

At Arizona, Williams will join a talented quarterback room that includes Noah Fifita (rising sophomore) and Brayden Dorman (incoming freshman). Fisch’s philosophy of signing one quarterback per recruiting class ensures healthy competition and the development of depth at the position, laying the foundation for future success.

The addition of Williams is a resounding win for the Arizona Wildcats and a testament to their commitment to building a strong program with top local talent. His dynamic skill set and leadership qualities are set to make a significant impact on the team’s success in the coming seasons. As the Wildcats’ 2024 class continues to take shape, the future of Arizona football looks brighter than ever, and fans eagerly anticipate Williams’ debut in the Wildcats’ colors.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X