Congressional race candidate guide

Congressional race candidate guide

Arizona’s Second Congressional District encompasses northeast Tucson. The highly competitive congressional seat, formerly held by Republican Martha McSally, will be critical to Democratic efforts to retake Congress. Learn about the districts two candidates below.

Ann Kirkpatrick (Democrat): 

After a failed Senate bid, Kirkpatrick is seeking to rejoin Congress. Kirkpatrick has promised to advocate for universal health care, paid family leave, campaign finance reform and public support for higher education. Kirkpatrick supports regulating Wall Street, common-sense gun reform and a path for citizenship for undocumented children brought to the U.S. as children. Kirkpatrick also wants to balance the budget, support U.S. veterans and improve Arizona’s infrastructure.  

Lea Marquez Peterson (Republican): 

Márquez Peterson has served as President and CEO of the Tucson Hispanic Chamber of 

Commerce since 2009. In Congress Márquez Peterson will seek to empower businesses, lower taxes and balance the budget to grow the economy. Márquez Peterson will also vote to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act while keeping care affordable for those with pre-existing conditions as well as to secure Arizona’s southern border and help veterans return to civilian life.

RELATED: Arizona’s Senate race

Arizona’s Third Congressional District encompasses southwest Tucson. The congressional seat has been solidly Democratic since won by eight-term Congressman Raul Grijalva in 2013. Learn about the districts three candidates below.

Raul Grijalva (Democrat): 

Grijalva began his political career as a community organizer in Tucson and, since 2003, has represented Arizona in Congress. While campaigning for his ninth term, Grijalva has touted his support for expanding social security, universal health care, campaign finance reform, increasing the federal minimum wage and comprehensive immigration reform. Grijalva has portrayed himself as an advocate for tribal and LBGTQ communities as well as Arizona’s national parks. 

Nicolas Pierson (Republican): 

Pierson, a Nogales native, grew up on living with relatives on both sides of the U.S.-Mexico 

border. Before running for Congress, Pierson worked as a financial advisor. In Congress, Pierson plans to secure Arizona’s southern border and then work to reform the immigration system. Pierson is an advocate for expanding public and private vocational and job training opportunities as well as youth and community programs.

Follow Randall Eck on Twitter